Is There A Way To Adapt To An Online Future?

ALTREAL
on Jan 15 2018 at 18:58
Other advice forum category advice forum category I'm a 30 y/o American male, and have worked in retail for over 5 years. In the past two years or so, I've noticed how quickly the world is changing.

I like technology and the Internet, to a point. I still enjoy video games and occasionally shop online. I prefer self check-outs to registers at stores most of the time. I grew up as a teenager chatting on AIM and using message boards and blogs.

But I only recently gave in and started using a smartphone. I have never really gotten into Facebook or watching Youtube videos by different personalities. And the jokes and memes online....It's as if people spend their every waking hour coming up with that stuff. Obviously, generations younger than myself adapted to modern technology a lot quicker than I have.

Well, here's my point:

My retail store is starting to embrace an online future. They are focusing on online sales and grocery picking services for customers, and pushing away from brick and mortar.

I don't know if I can adapt to a world without physical places to go and things to do. Many shopping malls are closing and specialty stores are tanking. The grocery store and general store, it seems, are poising for a future where they exist as warehouses that can ship products directly to households.

I am single and socially awkward, and my attempts at meeting people through online dating have failed pretty consistently. I think meeting people in person gives me a better chance. But when there is no place to go and nothing to do, how can someone like me meet anybody?

The latest rumors are that my company is considering doing away with cashier positions in favor of self check-outs eventually. And I'll admit, I find that really alarming.

Is there any way a guy like me can continue to adjust to this? Are the changes going to be as drastic as they seem?

Is there a Way to Adapt to an Online Future?
BUNNYHABIT
on Jan 15 2018 at 23:50
You need to investigate Online Retail Training Courses to be prepared for the future you are planning for. Self education will be extremely slow and faulty. there are hundreds of companies that offer these courses on the internet.
SOULMATE (moderator)
on Jan 16 2018 at 01:16
(Hi again.)

Socially awkward - how?

ALTREAL
on Jan 16 2018 at 05:39
@bunnyhabit- That's not a half-bad idea. If I want to stay relevant I guess I could look into training that might give me an advantage. Do you think my employer might provide such a course? I will have to look into this...

@Soulmate - Hi there.

Well I guess I'm not even sure what I mean by socially awkward. What I mean is, I have anxiety and have difficulty approaching many social situations, even some I've dealt with alright many other times before.

And I'm not a sheeple like most of society, I don't usually do things to follow the crowd or because it's what's automatically easiest.

I just try to be myself and hold a job. And to most people I guess I seem fairly boring and too up front with things to be interesting. I'm not that confident and lack certain features women look for in a mate.

Is that kind of what you were asking?

SOULMATE (moderator)
on Jan 17 2018 at 17:40
The onus should be on the employer to provide its staff with any necessary ongoing training so as to keep up as a company with target market changes, yes. They have to provide staff with the relevant, current tools, basically. The effect won't have reached your department yet, though, if they're only just getting that online side of things set up. No harm in looking proactive, though, and asking your boss what's going to happen/how it'll affect your dept. and what you personally can do or apply to do to meet it head-on (tick!).

Why, were you thinking the worst, like, being made redundant? ;-)

Have you looked into any self-help books regarding negative thinking in relation to social anxiety or vice versa?

But I'd say, if you've done something before, even many a time, but still experience anxiety at the thought or looming of it, it's not the social situation per se causing the anxiety...it's coming from within, whether anew or was in there before and is now nagging you to deal with it.

Where do you think it comes from? Did you lean to fear society for any reason, e.g., got humiliated so often the shame stuck and gets triggered when you're about to go back into the lion's den (depending on your state of happiness and confidence on any given day)?...I.e. are you a *Black* Sheepie? Or are you bored(ie), not really using your brains(ies) (:-D) to their fuller potential? Or are you somehow caught long-term in a social and work world of superficial, insensitive d*ckheads?

(sies?).

8TWENTY8
on Jan 21 2018 at 14:49
Your store(s) is very savvy to be proactive to the potential change in buying habits. This makes you quite astute also in tying to prepare for what is potentially inevitable. I don’t think this is happening to just grocery and general brick and mortar stores, but also schools, pharmacies, and many others. Our need to socially interact is disappearing. However, your desire to socially interact will never vanish if you want to take some risks. Let’s explore those.

Begin with your strengths. List those related to your intelligence, spiritual convictions, social comforts, financial abilities, and emotional capacities. You may be pleasantly surprised with your assets. Also, list your liabilities or weaknesses. We all have them. After this personal inventory, find some activities, in which you are comfortable and capable. These could include, but are not limited to, church activities, gyms, bars, libraries, sporting events, art classes and the like.

I think we may have had this conversation previously but there are many women out there that like the mysterious type. I don’t think you need to be a pole dancer to get the attention of someone that is worthy of conversation as a starter. Phony can be spotted on anyone, so be who you are. “You were fearfully and wonderfully made."

SOULMATE (moderator)
on Jan 21 2018 at 17:28
(Great post! :-) (Y))
BUNNYHABIT
on Jan 22 2018 at 04:28
if you wait for your employer to train you will be considered one of the sheep (follower). if you take the initiative to learn on your own you will be considered a shepard (leader)

if there is a promotion or lay off who do you think will be chosen a sheep or a shepard.

aggressively continue with your self help plan to get ahead in life.