My back is up against the wall!

SOCONFUSED12345
on Jan 17 2018 at 18:23
Member since: 06 July 2017
Relationship advice forum category advice forum category I'm the type of person who goes out of her way to avoid hurting people's feelings, especially those close to me. I've dated someone for 5 years and we've had our ups and downs, mostly about his finances. Fast forward, he just got reemployed after almost a year but he is 65 yrs old and even though he collects social security, his wages are low and he has barely any savings (the only money he has on the side is $ he just inherited but it's small).

He is AFTER ME, putting a lot of pressure on me now that he found a job - he is ecstatic and wants to live/marry ASAP...I'm really scared...I have a good nest egg and have really worked hard all my life to get it. Am I being crazy or do I have to make a decision to tell him that I can't move forward with him because he has really no money to access to really enjoy traveling, etc. and live off after he retires (which he says he wants to do in 5 years), etc. - what about emergency funds, am I that for him?? I feel so bad and guilty...help!

on Jan 17 2018 at 18:47
Since you two are not going to have babies, why is marriage on the table?

There was another thread on this site just days ago. You may get some insight from that.

No need to decide anything now or in the future. And the thing that may stop you from making a foolish decision is to visualize all your hard-earned savings being GONE.

SOCONFUSED12345
on Jan 18 2018 at 18:10
Member since: 06 July 2017
now I find out that even as he tells me he is "paying off all of his credit card debt now", he still owes almost $5,000.00 plus I see he has 2 other credit cards which have his name but apparently the account has his mother's name on it as primary. He tells me she owes him money all of the time but I can't imagine what for. In any event, isn't that a lie since it is leading me to believe that once he pays off the $5,000.00, he is debt free???