Mum doesn’t approve of older boyfriend

I am 18 and about a month ago I got into a relationship with someone from work. He is amazing and we love each other however he is much older than me. (almost 20 years...) I have tried to introduce the idea of him to my mum but before even mentioning that he is my boyfriend she said to get the idea of him out of my head as he is too old for me. Will this mean that the relationship will not work? Any advice is appreciated.

Mum doesn’t approve of older boyfriend

Yes 20 years is a large age gap. Do you have dating experience with guys your own age? What is it about this man that attracts you so much? Think of when you are 48 years old and maybe your children are gone and you turn around and look and he will be 68. You will be in your sexual prime and probably maybe even in a career. Is that what you want to live with - a 68-year-old man? I have seen this many times before in my community and it breaks my heart to see these young women taking care of old men. So Your mother must have experience or has seen examples of women in this situation and that’s why she is telling you to not even start it up. At 18 years old you should be dating a lot of different guys so you can get an idea of what kind of men there are out there. I’m not telling you that it can’t work I just want you to be realistic about what is in your future.

Mum doesn’t approve of older boyfriend

20 years is a huge age gap. The amount of experience between you two will be massive, as he is over twice your age. Not trying to be a naysayer, maybe he is an awesome guy. But most men with that much of an age gap are looking for someone they can manipulate and a "young thing" to have sex with. I personally wouldn't trust it....he's old enough to be your Dad lol