How to end a friendship gracefully

My husband is friends with this guy who is a lying know-it-all, and through default, I have had to become friends with his wife. She is rude and extremely negative. I can't stand being around them. He works out of town most of the time so I can easily avoid him, but I don't know how to tactfully tell the wife that I have no interest in being her friend. We live in a small town and I'll bump into her occasionally, and I can be cordial in those instances, however I don't want to be 'let's hang out ' friends. Aside from telling her the truth (which is way too cruel) what is a gentle way to say 'thanks but no thanks, I'm done with being your friend'?

How to end a friendship gracefully

There isn't. Just be busy every time she wants to get together. Let your husband know that you don't want to associate with these people. You don't have anything in common with them.