Is this relationship an issue?

CHISU
on May 14 2014 at 04:12
Relationship advice So i have been dating my current boyfriend for over three years. He has attempted suicide a couple of times but i talked him out of it. He always feels like he is alone since he is a high school dropout and literally doesnt talk to anyone besides me. He is my first boyfriend and i do care for him but i feel like im being forced into the relationship. I want to have the ability to try dating other guys and even bringing up the idea of and open relationship with him or anything like that he gets very upset. And right now there is this other guy i want to try dating but im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. What do you think will be the best solution?
Is this relationship an issue?
BUDDY
on May 15 2014 at 00:20
Does your current boy friend see a counsellor or therapist? Is he part of a church group? If no maybe urge his to attend more social activities or join a group of some sort. Tell him pick up a hobby so you do not feel obliged to be with him 24/7. Its understandable that you want to date others and you should be true to yourself and your feelings but because the issue involves suicide it is a more sensitive situation. I would let others who love and support him know about the suicide attempts if they do not already know this. I would maybe tell health care professionals if he is threatening to commit suicide if you leave for example. If you decide to stop dating him I would support him like you would a brother because when one is venerable a helping hand is like an angel.
Is this relationship an issue?
on May 15 2014 at 22:48
There are two issues here. One is that you want to explore other relationships. It sounds like you are young and there is no shame in this at all. You should be exploring the outside world as much as you can.

Two is that you feel emotionally blackmailed by this boyfriend whom you seem to have outgrown. He must get help with his isolation, dependence on you, and his suicidal threats. Bring in some other friends or a trusted adult to help out. This is too much for you to handle alone.

This thread has expired, but why not create your own?