Don't Feel The Need To Hang Around With Friends Anymore

DAVID123
on Jul 9 2014 at 01:56
Member since: 09 July 2014
Relationship advice forum category advice forum category I'm just about 17 years old and my cousin and bestfriend(for around 10 years) committed suicide 15 months ago. Lately I'm feeling very unmotivated to go out to my friends. I feel its because none of them are giving me what my bestfriend was giving me in a way.. My cousin made me happy and I enjoyed being with him but with my friends at the moment I feel I don't need to be with them, I can just stay at home. The downside is I know people will start to think I am a loner but I don't really care, but that isn't to say I won't care in a few months because maybe I will . any advice or past experiences from anyone? Really grateful, I am a boy as well if that makes any difference.
Don't feel the need to hang around with friends anymore
on Jul 9 2014 at 03:06
Gosh - I am sorry that you lost your best friend and cousin this way. That must have hurt you so much.

I think you are still grieving. This is such a loss for you. Please consider going to grief counseling. The funeral home will direct you to classes/group meetings of people who have gone thru the same thing as you did.

in the meantime, promise yourself that you will FORCE yourself to spend some time with other people. Make some new friends, if you feel like you don't want to be around your old friends. (I liked going on vacations after my husband died so no one would refer to me as a widow, but rather as a new friend.)

It is important that you live your life to the fullest. Your cousin made a sad choice that hurt a lot of people;don't spiral downward because of that and turn your back on your friends and family.

Peace . . .

K
on Jul 9 2014 at 03:40
Member since: 09 April 2014
Sorry to hear of your loss but yes, you must pick yourself back up otherwise you run the risk of falling into depression.

Reach out to friends and family. Don't keep this grief inside you. This will be a very difficult time in your life but don't close yourself off.

Talk about your cousin, keep his memory alive. Occupy your mind with doing something for him. Make a rememberance page, write a diary. You may know the reasons as to why he committed suicide? Maybe you should look into starting a voluntary organisation which highlights mental health issues and preventing youth suicide.

At a time like this and especially due to your age, please don't feel you are alone. Taking the above steps may just help fill the void in your life.

SHIVANGI
on Jul 9 2014 at 07:04
Member since: 24 April 2014
I can partially relate to what you are feeling. I had a cousin sis whom I was very close to. We stayed together, studied together and shared our every day together all the time. Suddenly she got married and went off from my life and I felt left out and alone. I too tried to connect with the rest of the family at home but there was a void. I was feeling ignored. (That was actually the lack of attention that I had so got used to). Gradually I withdrew into my books. One day my Mom had a talk with me and I realised that by remaining aloof I was actually hurting a lot of other people around! I made new friends and gradually with time bounced back to life, reconnected with everyone again.