Say yes or no?
I am torn between my current job and a new job offer.
I’m into six months in my current job and waiting for contract renewal. In the meantime and so far, I am fully satisfied with the current job (great pay, short travel and familiar faces and the workings of the job). The down sides are project-based with a higher salary and the possibility of being terminated anytime, my lying agency (to my co-workers at least) and the possibility of being sent to another location.
The job offer came when my contract is near expiring. Position is related to my course. However, it has lower pay, long commute and adjustment to new people and job. I applied for this position nearly a year ago and I was surprised that they called me back. My mother was very encouraging at this employer because she knows it’s a school and schools are safe employers (I might last longer).
I went for the interview and I am faced to make a decision. I don’t know what to think literally.
I tried to make a list but it seems balanced. There are some good things on the offer; the same for my current job. Of course, I’m a bit biased on my current job. I asked people on what they think and they say, what makes me happy. Problem is, it can apply on both jobs.
Should I say no to the job offer? I might want to try to re-apply there if my current job will be terminated. A bit selfish and greedy but I know first-hand the experience of waiting for employers to call …but nothing came. I also hate on being ‘blacklisted’ by the one extending the offer.
Share any thoughts/advice?
Truly a rock and a hard place. It really sounds (to me) like you want to stay in your current job. There are ways to say no to an offer that won't get you blacklisted. Be honest with the hiring personnel, and leave the door cracked open so that you can re-apply if you are laid off.