How do I help my abused boyfriend?
I recently found out that my boyfriend had an abusive and difficult childhood, he told me he had been in house fires and beaten up by his step dad, including having cigarettes stubbed out on him, he also had to carry him mum from the house after she had been stabbed by a burglar, I don't know how to deal with this information as I want to help and support him but don't know how to as nothing has happened to me like that. He is very affected by it as he has a lot of anger issues and some depression leading to attempts at suicide, I just want to help him, how should I ?
1. Did he ASK you for help and support (either directly or via his behaviour) or was he just showing you the still-tender scars of past 'warts' because he's loath to risk you accidentally knocking against them?
2. How long have you two been dating and what has been the regularity per week?
3. What was the conversation that led up to his unexpurgated confession?
4. What exactly did he say right after telling you and your reaction?
5. What WAS your reaction?
6. And define 'a lot of anger issues and some depression' in terms of whether and precisely how it's leaking into yours and his relationship together?
Were my questions too impressive and it made you fall off your chair in awe, hitting your head on the way down?
(sorry, folks, couldn't resist)