I don't belong here
I've been wanting to leave from where I am from quite some time. I have plenty of great skills and experience to have a nice job but I have no luck getting one. Before my fall into unemployment I have a nice paying Full-time job with benefits. I lost my job near the end of last year and have been having trouble finding one since I was let go.Along with the stress of job loss I have to come up with rent each month so I can take care of myself. The city I live is nearly impossible to find a job unless a friend works there or you move to the suburbs. I'm struggling and I'm tired. It's getting harder to stay motivated when you send out almost 20 applications and one get two callbacks that lead nowhere. I just want to drop everything and leave but I can't because I have too many responsibilities where I am. I alone and I don't have much help and this feeling is awful. When I tell my story to people they tell me that I'm strong but I'm tired of hearing that. I just want to leave the city that I live in and never cone back.
A 12 month lease that ends in August, no real income and school.
Have you no parents, family or relatives that could help?
I don't have that much of a relationship with my family especially the ones that lives in the city with me. I have a relative who I talk to that lives in another state but she's taking care of herself.
1. Might you going to your nearest family to ask for help be an opportunity for you and they to 'bury the hatchet'?
2. What do you mean, taking care of herself? How do you know she wouldn't welcome the chance to be your hero of the day?
3. Do you have a computer and printer so that you could pre-fashion a number of slightly differing template CVs and covering letters, geared towards whichever industry or company types, so that you could send out more than 20 at a time (bearing in mind that in a recession it's basically a numbers game)?
4. Or could you take more than one part-time job, say, bar work, in order to total nearer the hours of one full-time job, just until you find your more perfect one? Or have you tried signing up with any temping agencies?
1. May never happen. ( They were emotionally and mentally abusive.)
2. She lives by herself and she's on a tight budget and I rather not add more to her problems. Plus I'm not interested in moving where she lives.
3. I have multiple cover letter templates and resumes. I think my problem is getting a callback and interview jitters.
4. I have my resume on file at multiple temp agencies and everytime I contact them they either have no openings or I don't fit what they are looking for. I can't afford a part-time because I live on my own.
1. Even GREATER reason to hold your hand out, surely? And surely they'd welcome the self-flattering opportunity to go round crowing about it to one another and calling themselves heroes/rescuers?
2. Okay. See 1.
3. I know for a FACT that the majority of would-be employers are put OFF by candidates that exhibit no nervousness (because it smacks of cockiness, lack of respect and lack of desire in terms of wanting to work for that specific firm). Are you, once you get the interview invitation, doing your online research into the company, their ethos and long-term goals so that you can ask impressive questions and cite indepth knowledge as convinces employers that you don't just want *any* job, but this one especially? If you went in KNOWING you had this knowledge, that would be a huge help towards preventing any jitters.
I know it's a lot of work, but, again, that's what the 'wheat' do during a recession as proves them a mark above the rest (the chaff).
Also, do you sit there waiting to find out whether you've got an interview or do you deliberately try to impress on them your initiative-taking skills and keenness by taking the bull by the horns ("Hi, do excuse my enthusiasm only, I submitted an application 2 weeks ago and am gagging to know whether I've been considered for an interview?")?
4. How MANY temp agencies (and are they right type)?
What about TWO part-time jobs - one mornings and the other afternoons/evenings?
Alternatively, do you have a spare room you could lodge out?