Career crossroads

I have been depressed for the past few weeks. I am a med student supposed to be doing rotations in the states but my visa was revoked after 6 months for flimsy reasons. As it stands, this is a huge blow as getting the American experience has always been my dream. I have consulted & most people agreed getting another visa would be difficult. I do not know what to do! Thinking of switching careers; moving to Germany; its so much on me. I know mine is a unique situation so I may not be able to get solutions here. Just want to vent & make use of some emotional support.

Career crossroads

My gut feel here would be to hang on with your very worthwhile career and try to re-order your goals if the short term is now not what you expected. I'm mid career now, and I can tell you that career setbacks can hit at any time, and everyone gets them, so you are not alone in having this happen to you. You might switch careers, and a similar thing happen in whatever new field you choose. So I'd just give it time, perhaps reset your horizons a bit, and keep going. You will get there eventually. Whatever the case, don't make any major career decisions if you are too down, as you won't be thinking straight and might later regret it.

Career crossroads

Sorry to read that you are depressed, but I do understand how frustrating it must be for you. I was wondering if you pray and have considered asking god for direction in your life. Many American presidents have been men of prayer. Both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were men of prayer during times of great personal stress. I certainly admire you undertaking medical studies while trying to absorb some of America's culture. I will be praying that you are able to get some resolution to your problem in the very near future. Let me know what happens.

Career crossroads

So is it that you no longer want a career in medicine? What is the differnet career you are thinkng of and why? Is it America you want to be in or Germany? Obviously you will need to be honest with yourself and answers these questions for anybody (including us) to know what's best. I went back to college for a 2nd degree in a completely different career path (after being on in a career for 20+ years). The best advice I can give you is.. RESEARCH the alternative career and be honest about what it takes to succeed in that career. Ask peopel in the industry. Work a job in the industry (even for free if you must "in exchange to learn the ropes" of that industry). The hardest yet most important thing to figure out is what will make you happy and not. Wht's do-able and not. MY EXAMPLE: I have 20+ yrs in IT (business computers). Left a Sr level analyst job (very cushy and well paying job) to go back to school and start over to beocme professionally skilled at a lifelong passion of mine - entertainment production most specifically in audio (i am now certified to do audio for films, music, live performance, etc. - with also the training to work in films period and other entertainment production). I spent a couple years in hollywood (never made it though). Here's what i found out that I wished i knew earlier.... 1. nearly impossible to get into the industry. you get hired more b/c you're friends with somebody in the industry than what your skillset is. Getting a degree and learning it "correctly" means nothing. 2. it would've been much better to go find a job at a working studio and study under somebody (even if they didn't know what they were doing - as most of the studios i encountered in Hollywood - they did NOT know what they were doing) and make them like you and thhus get hired. 3. nobody in the entertainment industry likes to pay you. paying jobs are too far and few between for everybody to have an income. So peopel hoarde their income. They LOVE you to death when they aren't paying for you. As soon as $ comes up - the phone stops ringing. 4. I came to learn JUST HOW MUCH a regular, decen paycheck, and how much "financial comfort" was a component of my happiness (albeit i do MISS the entertainment lifestyle a LOT and had some GREAT TIMES being poor!) I'm happier and more at peace/ease having a corporate paycheck. i could work in audio and hollywood or a studio outside of hollywood if i want. but giving up a paycheck for the next 2-3 yrs isn't something i'm intersted in at my age. but if i miss the life and that work ENOUGH.. the way to do it is to go work for free for somebody (and be prepared to do it for 2-3 years) and let them feel like they are teaching me (even if i know i know more than them) and be "buddies"... Then make even better buddies with the people they introduce you to until you "hit" it off with somebody that eventually makes it big and brings you along for the ride. Thats SPECIFICALLY the entertainment industry. But some elements of that are present in ANY industry today. So keep on the path you are now, while you study and get to know your other industry first. DISCLAIMER: if you already know (as i did for audio) that you would REGRET not giving it a shot and going to Germany if you dont do it NOW.. then go to germany. but.. TAKE YOUR TIME in asking and answering that question yourself. I probably should've taken a bit longer to research the music/film industry before jumping in the way i did. STILL.. i have no regrets. I would have regretted if i didn't do what i did - and no amount of money can pay to get rid of regrets. Good luck!