Being pushed out - newbie favoritism

Previous problem
Next problem
Posted by MAJESTICYOGI on Jan 5 2017 at 20:31
Work advice forum category advice forum category We have a new woman at work to manage our branch location. It is only seasonal so she comes back to the main location after it closes. The issue I'm having is the woman is rather lazy, doesn't want to be a team player (except kissing up to the owners) and gets paid as much as I do!!!

The owners let her "do her own thing" over at the branch location even though it she isn't experienced in the retail business and knows very little of our specialized trade. Now that she's back at the main location with us it's been horrible. The owners left it up to me to train her because I ran that location successfully for many years. I tried showing her the ropes but she doesn't follow through. I do all the cleaning and maintenance for the building while she sits in her office with nothing to do except play around on the company computer. The last time I asked her to help out she rolled her eyes at me! Plus, she chooses to isolate herself so we can't even get to know her.

I'm at my wits end! I want to scream and cry and quit. (I've already started looking for another job.) A newbie gets hired - shes one year younger than me - has no experience in this field and walks in and gets paid the same as I do! (Yes, I blame the owners just as much because she's not getting paid what she is clearly worth.) I've been with this company for 13 years now and crawled my way to the top. I attempted to talk to the owners about all of us not being on the same page. (You'd figure us working in a really small business they would have noticed that she is getting paid to do nothing?) I've tried having a heart-to-heart with the new woman to no avail.

Do I pull back? (Obviously, you can get paid the same for doing less.)

Am I being pushed out?

How do I handle her?

Do I just put my head down and find another job?

Reply from MANALONE on Jan 7 2017 at 23:48
Gender: Male
If the owners have hired this woman then they have taken the responsibility for her and if you have tried to train her and she's not responding to it, then you have basically done your job for which you are paid accordingly. It's not your fault if she's lazy or unresponsive neither should you worry about what she gets paid. If you tried to speak to her and tried to alert the owners, then you have also have done your job. In other words, you're trying to take responsibility for the owners and their business decisions when you should be just doing what you're paid to do. The owners will eventually understand that no small business can afford lazy people regardless of their reasons for hiring them.

Sure, it's all OK for you to be a hard worker and basically work yourself to the top but you need to understand that not all people share your work ethic and it should be all about if you're happy and content where you are. Your passion for this business shines between the lines of your post but if you feel that the owners actions undervalue you and your commitment to them and their business, then you need to use your substantial 13 years experience to look for another position where you feel you will be valued and respected more.

It's never really about the money when it comes to your career, rather, it's about whether your contribution and value to the business/company is appreciated and respected regardless of long you've been there.

Reply from SUSIEDQQ on Jan 9 2017 at 04:38
Did you ever think that this is a test - for you!! - to show what kind of managerial/training talents you have?

Keep your business head on. Write an objective evaluation of this person's training experience and what you perceive she brings to the company. List her good qualities and her challenges. If you can do this in a mature, constructive way, then the owners might see that you have a good vision of what the company needs.

That's all you can do.

If they don't appreciate your experience and 13 years of devotion to the company, get another job where people recognize your contribution.

Reply from SOUL ADVISER on Jan 15 2017 at 19:15
- unregistered user
*** This post has been removed following a breach of our posting policy ***

This thread is no longer active. Why not start your own thread?

Start new thread

My Boyfriend Paid For A Lap Dance Found Out Years After . Is Everthing A Lie?Family Business IssuesAt The End Of My TetherJealousy/controlling Or A Breach Or TrustHelp Relationship ProblemBetrayed!Would Be Right For Me To Get Myself Into Such A Situation? He's My Boss & OlderI You To Help Answer The QuestionI Need You To Help Answer The Question
Copyright 2017 - www.PeoplesProblems.org
Page generated in 0.1456 seconds.