Required to dress as a female at work - Work Problem

Required to dress as a female at work

Previous problem
Next problem
Posted by SID196 on Jan 11 2017 at 15:52
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom
Work advice forum category advice forum category

I have been offered a job which I really want but I'm required to wear a uniform like the other staff but it is a female uniform.I will be cleaning rooms in a hotel so will have to wear a housekeeing dress and apron.I need the job, should I just take it.I am a man and the manageress won't compromise on this

Reply from WHATISLIFE on Jan 11 2017 at 23:05
Gender: Female

I REALLY don't think you should take the job if this makes you uncomfortable... cleaning/housekeeping does not require one to wear a dress to get the job done, I think the manager has some issues of her own if she thinks it's okay to force you to feel that uncomfortable. Why can't you wear the apron (if you don't mind the apron) over a shirt and pants that are a similar color/pattern as the dresses worn by the other staff members? If she can't compromise on this, I really don't think you want to be working there. Keep looking...

Reply from ONTHEROAD on Jan 12 2017 at 21:35
Member since: 03 November 2016
Gender: Male

I smell a legal claim.

Reply from WINTERSUN on Jan 17 2017 at 00:23

Many employers require their employees to follow a dress code, but not necessarily a dress if you're a man! I have never seen a male cleaner wearing a dress. Have you? In this company are there other male cleaners, have you seen them wearing a dress? Is she saying to wear the dress over your trousers?

I think that maybe employers are allowed to enforce different dress code standards for men and women. However, they may not impose a greater burden on either gender. And in this case it would be a burden for you to wear something that is alien to you. So go find out your rights, phone citizens advice and ask about employment law, and be armed with the correct information when you accept or reject the job.

Reply from ALSOSUSAN2 on Feb 13 2017 at 08:19

I think you have misunderstood the dress code. A uniform for a man wouldn't be the same as for a woman, that would be a lawsuit in the making if someone would do a crazy thing like that.

Thread Expired: Replies to this topic are no longer accepted due to the time elapsed since the last post.

Perhaps you'd like to start your own thread?