Required to dress as a female at work

I have been offered a job which I really want but I'm required to wear a uniform like the other staff but it is a female uniform.I will be cleaning rooms in a hotel so will have to wear a housekeeing dress and apron.I need the job, should I just take it.I am a man and the manageress won't compromise on this

Required to dress as a female at work

I REALLY don't think you should take the job if this makes you uncomfortable... cleaning/housekeeping does not require one to wear a dress to get the job done, I think the manager has some issues of her own if she thinks it's okay to force you to feel that uncomfortable. Why can't you wear the apron (if you don't mind the apron) over a shirt and pants that are a similar color/pattern as the dresses worn by the other staff members? If she can't compromise on this, I really don't think you want to be working there. Keep looking...

Required to dress as a female at work

I smell a legal claim.

Required to dress as a female at work

Many employers require their employees to follow a dress code, but not necessarily a dress if you're a man! I have never seen a male cleaner wearing a dress. Have you? In this company are there other male cleaners, have you seen them wearing a dress? Is she saying to wear the dress over your trousers? I think that maybe employers are allowed to enforce different dress code standards for men and women. However, they may not impose a greater burden on either gender. And in this case it would be a burden for you to wear something that is alien to you. So go find out your rights, phone citizens advice and ask about employment law, and be armed with the correct information when you accept or reject the job.

Required to dress as a female at work

I think you have misunderstood the dress code. A uniform for a man wouldn't be the same as for a woman, that would be a lawsuit in the making if someone would do a crazy thing like that.